Friday, June 11, 2010

Dynamic Duos



Long live the fashion bears (and chubs, Alber). I adore Costello Tagliapietra for obvious reasons, but most of all because they are the exact type of people that you don't expect to achieve success in the world of fashion. In fact, upon looking at them, you probably wouldn't even think of them as being interested in form fitting jersey dresses... but au contraire - didja catch their stuff at Uniqlo? I want that dress for me. For me. Lol.

Check out this video that I found on Youtube where the two designers provide a bit of their background and how they envision the clothing they create.





When I was a Literature/Rhetoric major in college, I thought that the only way to become a designer was to attend an design school. At least that was the fastest way in my mind. What Laura and Kate Mulleavy have proven, however, is that not only don't you need to go to a famous design school, but you don't even have to have studied design. The women of Rodarte were English and Art history majors in college and since graduating have produced one of the most lauded labels today.


Isn't it Gorge? I saw Quicktake: Rodarte at the Cooper Hewitt a couple of months back and was taken by the designers materials and construction. What also stood out was the raw-raw-raw environment that was created to show off these miraculous creations. The constant back and forth between disintegration and fabrication results in a sublime beauty which clearly reflects the designers varied interests and insights. I just want to know how they learned to sew...

Check them out with Martha here.

No comments: