Friday, April 17, 2009

Pringupringubirlaow

Photobucket

It was Spring 2006. I was floating down the Mekong travelling from Thailand to Laos. The river was muddy and the trust fund kids were oh so "Duhddy" and "Mummy". Times were relaxin' - UNTIL the pirates boarded. I grabbed for my camera and iPod when they hopped on board at an impromptu dock. The pitter patter of tiny feet became audible from afar and then I realized that they were running up and down the aisle screaming "Pringupringubirlaow!Pringupringubirlaow!". I rifled through the index of my Lonely Planet Southeast Asia to see if I could find a handy translation. I know these SE Asian kids and their fierceness realness. I was scurrd. (I used to be one of them!). When I saw the money exchanged, I finally realized - we were at the bodega of the Mekong and they were pitching chips and beer. Silly Fauxmerican.

2 comments: