Monday, February 4, 2008

I love it when disco divas / queer icons collaborate with Japanese DJ's / Technics Virtuosos and prance around in kimonos in downtown NYC claiming to


be typefaces of the German, BOLD italic variety.
You will like my sense of style.

Such a creative idea, I really think. Going through the annals of music history, I cannot think of another song that uses Typography as its subject. Please inform me if I'm forgetting something. I mean, there were the Village people and the YMCA, but that was more of a paean to community centers nationwide. As far as it comes to making music about a typeface itself, this song might be in a league by itself. Sorry if I've failed to mention all of you art students in Brooklyn wil'ing away at your synthsizers - get that shit out there.

Not surprisingly, the songs creator was once himself a Graphic Design student at Parsons and has since collaborated with different design groups (Tycoon Graphics, Enlightenment) to create imagery for his albums and VJ (Video Jockey) sets. I need to get him to do a sequel to GBI...

1 comment:

jenn said...

what the hell is this? i am confused i want to go to japan now to figure it out!